Monday, April 30, 2007

CATCHING UP WITH STEVE MARRA, DIRECTOR OF EVIDENCE OF LIFE


The Indianapolis International Film Festival has a conversation with Hoosier filmmaker, Steve Marra about his short film, Evidence of Life, which will be screened in the Hoosier Lens category at 7:45 p.m. at the Landmark Keystone Art Cinema.

Indianapolis International Film Festival: What's the inspiration behind your film?
Steve Marra: I wanted to create a memorial to 9/11, but with a more personal message. The tragedy is vivid in everyone's mind, but the loss of nearly 3,000 human lives is, even today, six years later, almost too much to conceive. Certainly, on many levels and with all that is happening in this fragile world today, 9/11 is a dreaded memory, but without an emotional definition, unless you were directly effected. The message in Evidence of Life is that EVERY human life is precious. Depicting the loss of one family is a huge loss to us all. To me, that makes it personal. That puts the horrifying event in a personal light. All those people that we lost were just like the rest of us.

IIFF: Do you have a direct/personal connection with 9/11 (i.e. family? friends?)
SM: Other than knowing some people who live near ground zero, I have no direct connection to the events of 9/11. I have only the sense of loss that we all share.

IIFF: Can you talk briefly about the process and what makes this film unique?
SM: I believe this film takes a different approach to memorializing the loss of human life on that day. Obviously, many filmmakers have presented their own dramatic recreations of that day to the world, and they chose the docu-drama method as their voice. Evidence of Life is a fictional drama about "what if." That is the dramatic vehicle by which I chose to drive this memorial.

IIFF: Thoughts on the Indianapolis International Film Festival?
SM: For the most part, it's come a long way in four years. I think Brian, Krista and everyone involved should be applauded for their tireless efforts. IIFF will be a formidable festival in the years to come.

IIFF: What's next for you?
SM: I have several feature projects offered to me for my editing services, which is my second true love. Writing is my first. I also have a project in the fall that I am scheduled to direct. Should be fun.

Evidence of Life will be screened along with Edge of the Road, Happiness, Partially True Tales of High Adventure and Snoozer. For more information on the film visit www.adrenalinemotionpictures.com

No comments: