Wednesday, May 2, 2007

IIFF CATCHES UP WITH INDIANA FILMMAKER, MURPHY GILSON, ON HIS SHORT FILM, PARTIALLY TRUE TALES OF HIGH ADVENTURE


Indianapolis International Film Festival: Was this the world premiere of Partially True Tales of High Adventure?
Murphy Gilson: Yep. This is the first time it's been shown to the public and having this movie premiere here is just perfect. There are a few Muncie jokes in the film and they're going over big with the Indianapolis crowd. There's something about returning home from L.A. too. Everybody has just been so supportive of me and the film here.

IIFF: What was the inspiration for your picture?
MG: Well, it's based on some of my short stories (http://moifee.blogspot.com) which are themselves loosely based on my life in Hollywood, but by the time the film hits the screen, the truth has been lost in the the exaggerations.

IIFF: On working with Shannon Elizabeth?
MG: Shannon was excellent. She didn't know me, but dug the script. She showed up on time and ready to go. She had a lot of questions and ideas. She went with it though and trusted me a lot considering she was playing with her image a bit. She's really, really funny. She doesn't get a chance to show that nearly enough. I mean, everybody remembers her in American Pie for one thing - well, two things - but everybody forgets how funny she is in that. Watch that again and Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back.

IIFF: Advice for aspiring filmmakers?
MG: I've been getting this one a lot lately. I dunno. Heck, I'm an aspiring filmmaker! I will say this, with the state of technology, everybody has access to the equipment. Last year a couple of guys made a movie called My Date with Drew with a camera they bought at Circuit City and then returned it 30 days later for a full refund. The movie got national distribution and Circuit City has since changed it's return policy. That being said, being a professional filmmaker is like being an opera singer or being an Olympic athelete. It takes years of study and hard work to get it right. It ain't easy and I know I've still got a long way to go.

IIFF: What's next for you?
MG: I've got a video for the band Candlebox sometime this summer and I'm working on a new feature screenplay. I've already got some interest in it. I'd like to see Partially True Tales of High Adventure turned into a TV series too, so we'll see what happens with that.

For more information on Murphy Gilson's film, Partially True Tales of High Adventure, go to www.partiallytruetales.com